Tuesday, September 22, 2015

From the Intent to Action.

Recently I took on a role working for Citizens for GMO labeling.  This has brought me the closest to politics and true activism that I have ever been.  For a long time I avoided becoming an activist even though the missions and dreams inspired me.  The issue was that being a very sensitive person, I felt that there was too much hatred on the front lines and thought I wouldn't be able to handle it.  I know by now that I am not really a fighter.  Aggressive conflict feels uncomfortable and unnatural to me. I have learned that being a better listener, more self-aware, deeply empathetic and compassionate, it really mitigates the amount of aggressive conflict that I have to deal with.
My yoga practice is a vital part of my self-care to this day. I
 take time daily for myself to connect, meditate and imagine.

I will commend the many great fighters who have made change. There are certainly times when it may be neccessary to fight.  At this moment however, it seems that there is a grand shift occurring in the world around us; many new-agey types call this shift the "New Paradigm".  What does the New Paradigm actually mean?  My understanding of the New Paradigm: Our old ways of being are unsustainable and not delivering the results we deeply desire (to be seen, heard, felt and to give and receive love). It's time to give the old ways to boot and wake up to who we really are and what world we really want for all living beings and creatures.

At our first ever training for CFGL. 
When I first started exploring the idea of accepting this role, I thought the only way to win was to be aggressive and join in the hatred against the many corporations that run our world. I have known activists who are ugly with hate, who have become outraged in violent ways when they don't accomplish their mission and burn themselves out by being ineffective. This hatred was not helping me accomplish the dream, to contribute in revealing the more loving world that does exist in all of us. What shifted my heart were the people involved. My organization is one that is full of loving leaders who share the vision of the better world we see possible.

We are moving into the language of abundance and giving those who have done wrong the opportunity to shift to better business practices. Think of this example: You are fighting with a partner or a friend and the yelling back and forth results in exhaustion and resentment that doesn't usually end well. The shift seems to occur when one or both decide to step back, take a breath and realize the commitment to nurturing the relationship - where the desired results live.

Everywhere you look folks are commenting about the change occurring. Activists and movements are shifting away from conflict and more towards solutions—it can't always be us vs. a corrupt corporation, us vs. evil empires, us vs. dastardly politicians. It can all too easily become an obsession which will lead to burn out. The shift is towards the greatest good:  realizing humanity. At the root of all these evils there are men and women who make decisions based off of their own experiences. When we re-humanize all of the issues, it boils down to very simple things. Where's the humanity of these decision makers and how can we bring it back, or take their ability to do harm away?

There are two possibilities that come to mind for me:

Situation 1: If these people realize their own humanity and role, they will want to move towards a better future. They will truly want to be the solution to the problems in which they have created or contributed. This takes an enormous amount of courage on their part to admit their wrongs and commit to moving forward in a way that serves humanity. It also requires a great deal of compassion on the activist. Can we forgive things we previously deemed unforgivable?

It begs of you to take a deeper look at yourself and where you want the energy of our world to go: abundance (love) or deficit (fear). How would you choose to contribute to the world, by celebrating their realization of humanity? or continuation of hatred? Your sentiment matters. Your friends, family, community and planet are affected by what you are putting out there.

Situation 2: If the parties that are plaguing the world have absolutely zero desire to realize a better existence, we must expose where the corruption/harm/evil lives. Evil hates the light, because it wants to hide in the dark. Our job is to take our big flashlight of humanity and shine it bright and clear on the truth.

Where are we at?
I haven't retreated from the good fight. I am just trying to be more effective. By choosing forgiveness and compassion for all people both my "enemies" and my friends, I experience less conflict in my life, less anxiety, less toxic thoughts. As a result, I’m so much happier!

We must explore the idea of non-duality here. None of us are good or bad, black or white, we are all cut from the same cloth. The way we manifest ourselves is with an unlimited amount of different expressions.

When we embrace the idea of non-duality, we can live in a place of serentity and joy. It is a long and arduous journey for some, but eventually we realize that everything and everyone has a "good" and a "bad". Most importantly we realize that we each have positive, negative and indifferent aspects which make you unique. We must dance with these realizations to work as best as we can to fulfill as much of our purpose as possible. When you accept this, you will find more patience and peace in dealing with the outside world and with yourself. When we act from a place of acceptance of all these things we are flexible and free.

Accept yourself as you are: positive, negative and all that's in between... but continue to develop yourself to the greatest good. This is possibly life's greatest paradox.

I've seen too much now to not act. My travels educate me time and time again.
You get to a point where you can't just sit back and watch anymore.  


There is something in every one of you that waits and listens
for the sound of the genuine in yourself.
It is the only true guide you will ever have.
And if you cannot hear it, you will all of your life
spend your days on the ends of strings that somebody else pulls...
- Howard Thurman -


No comments:

Post a Comment