Thursday, June 6, 2013

What I can't get enough of right now: Chocolate Coconut Mousse

For real this time... I give up dairy, minus the occasional ghee or goat cheese. What I miss most is ice cream! This past weekend I was in Boston for an engagement party. I haven't been to the city in almost a year! 

In this span of a year I had discovered a little alternative (non-dairy) ice cream shop called FoMu (http://www.fomuicecream.com). Finally, I had an excuse to stop. It was SO GOOD. Arguably better than ice cream that is made with dairy. I got strawberry and chocolate with hot fudge, cocoa nibs and coconut whipped cream! 


The whipped cream was one of the best things I have ever tasted. When I got home, I was on a mission to find a recipe. I didn't find exactly what I was looking for but I got enough ideas to play on my own. 


Here is what I came up with:

Ingredients: 
2 cans of coconut milk- refrigerate overnight. 
as much cocoa powder as you want
optional sweetener- maple syrup, honey, stevia
vanilla extract


 Pull the cans of coconut milk out of the fridge. Flip the can upside down, open it and drain out the coconut water (you can drink that or put it in a smoothie, don't throw it out). 


 Dump the contents into a big bowl.


 Whip the coconut cream until it forms peaks, and fills with air. Should double in size roughly. 


 Add in the flavoring of your choice- here I did vanilla and unsweetened raw cocoa powder. 


 Final product- a cool creamy summer treat.



No comments:

Post a Comment