Monday, December 22, 2014

Self-Care Routines

Hi everyone!
I see a lot of people veering towards natural self-care products. Many folks have been asking me what vitamins, supplements and routines I use on a daily basis.

As we have just entered the winter,  I thought it was appropriate to share what I do- here are the top five things I couldn't leave the house without doing/wearing:


Vitamin D
Warm defluoridated water with lemon
Soapwalla deodorant
Activated Charcoal Toothpaste
Dr. Bronner's


Vitamin D: People are generally vitamin D deficient, because we don't spend enough time in the sun! I am not a doctor, but I can say that I have a noticeable shift in mood and energy when I take my vitamin D supplement in the morning. For a deeper information read here. I use Carlson Labs 2000 IU D3.

Warm defluoridated water with lemon: If you are unaware around the current research regarding fluoride, please look into it yourself. Here is a helpful general study from Harvard showing the fluoride lowers children's IQ. There is much more out there aside from this small study. We use a Berkey Water Filtration system for our drinking water. Arsenic, chlorine and fluoride are among a few of the treatments/waste products found in our regional water supply and most water filters (such as Brita, do not remove these toxins). Check your locality for information on your water.

The lemon is great for a gentle liver and lymph detox, it helps to move oxidants and free particles through the body and out of your system. Lemon water can balance your pH and it also acts as a laxative if you need help getting the bowels moving. I do not drink coffee or tea that often, so I boil up a pot of water with lemon and whatever herbs I've got around for the morning. Here are some great benefits of drinking warm water with lemon. Most importantly, it tastes very good!

Soapwalla Deodorant Cream: I love this stuff! I have to apply deodorant because I am moving all day. I know some people who don't wear any and apparently that works too!
If you need to wear D.O. for peace of mind, check this product out. I love how it smells, so if you want to wear D.O.  it is a great option. Made from all natural ingredients, read more reviews and the ingerdients in the link!

Activated Charcoal Toothpaste: 
I switched to toothpowder after using Tom's and JASON brand for years. I prefer the feeling of the toothpowder and find that it leaves my breath fresher and my teeth feeling much cleaner. The abrasiveness of the powder removes plaque but is gentle on the enamel. The brand that I use is inVitamin, there are many brands out there and recipes to make your own. I have tried a few toothpowders that do not contain charcoal and was also satisfied with them. Toothpowders containing Neem are especially nice. If you are looking to whiten your teeth though, go with the black stuff! Research for yourself and let me know what you find/think if you try it! Here is a great link for more great information on activated charcoal.

Dr. Bronner's Magic Soap: If the label isn't enough to woo you alone, the smells and lathering quality of Dr. Bronner's will get you.

What sold me? Dr. Bronner's philosophy " people would stop focusing on their religious and ethnic differences and find common ground, we would all be better off. We're all humans, and we all have to share this Spaceship Earth."

The history of the Dr. Bronner's Soap company is much more incredible than your ordinary soap story. Dr. Bronner lost his family to the Holocaust when he left for the United States upon seeing the Nazi's rising power, they refused to go with him. The story is tragic but inspiring. He has truly made a mark with his quirky soap brand.

The reason why it has a cult following? You can use this shit to clean just about anything. It is biodegradable and it actually works. You get the fresh clean feeling you want without the bad things that come with a bar of Irish Springs. Here is a wonderful article on Dr. Bronner's from Inc. magazine.

I would love to know what products you use/can't live without! 


No comments:

Post a Comment